Tuesday, February 27, 2018

A Story From Neighborhood Recruitment

I was doing some active student recruitment this afternoon- basically walking around the neighborhood putting KIPP North enrollment flyers between screen doors, push pinning info on the bulletin board at the local library, and talking to anyone who was out and about on this really lovely day about the new school. It’s important work because it’s really important that families in the immediate area around the school know we are opening and have all the info they need to apply by our deadline. I don’t want anyone who could have had a spot to miss out just because they didn’t know we existed.

I always enjoy doing this work, but today I had a conversation that was basically the perfect encapsulation of why this work matters and why it’s important to get out an actively recruit. I was walking down a street about a block from the school when a man called out to me from his doorway asking what information I was handing out. When I explained it was for a new school opening up that would have kindergarten and 1st grade next year, his eyes lit up. “My daughter goes to kindergarten at the school down that way (pointing in the direction of the nearest district school) and she’s not doing well. They keep calling and saying she’s causing all this trouble but I see how kids treat each other there and it’s not a safe place. She’s learning from this other kids and thinks she needs to protect herself. I need to get her out of there.” I asked a few questions about what he sees as the problem and what he’s already tried to see if I could offer any advice. Then we transitioned to talking about him and his family, with me learning more about him and his family. He attended Stanton (where KIPP North will be located) when it was a district school and was a student when the Oscar-winning documentary was made about a year in the life of the school. His parents were Black Panthers in the 60s and he’s “all about love and education. Love and education!” Besides living right near the school, he works doing minor auto repair for folks in the neighborhood. He made sure to get me to promise to tell all my teachers to come and get his help before calling AAA if they ever have a flat tire.

All that to say, KIPP North opening up in his old elementary school, us having the grade his daughter will be in, and our commitment to educating the whole child in a loving environment really made him excited.

We chatted for about 10 more minutes and I made sure he got our information and application form so that he can apply for his daughter before our deadline on Thursday. I’m going to stop by tomorrow to make sure he does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment